Sunday, September 25, 2011

Week 18: Three weeks from today...

Total kms this week:  38.5 kms
Total kms in 18 weeks: 728 kms
Longest run: 20 kms
Other training: walking, yoga (2 hours)
Fundraising to date: $4,251

Three weeks from today I'll be finishing my sixth marathon in San Francisco (I hope).  I can't believe it's so close!!

I'm writing this in the Porter lounge at the Ottawa airport, having just spent a terrific few days attending a meeting for work and relaxing with Husband. Despite a fairly frantic schedule, I managed to squeeze in two runs this weekend - a mellow 20kms along the Rideau River on Friday and a wonderful 12kms at "race pace" today. It felt great running through the old "hood" and it was a special treat to have Husband along for company for portions of both runs. It's truly impressive how far he's able to run with so little training!  He keeps in shaping cycling and whatnot, but still... amazing!

Anyway, this was my last moderately big week of training.  From now until race day, I'll focus on doing shorter runs at race pace, making sure I eat right and get enough rest - while putting on a final fundraising push.

Speaking of fundraising, I was very pleased when two old friends and a new friend I recently met through my local running club stepped up to support me this week.  I feel blessed to be surrounded by such warm and generous folks and am genuinely grateful to all who've sponsored me so far.

One of my supporters asked me this week whether I had a time goal for this marathon. Truthfully, I'm far too type A not to have one - though I'm trying not to be too ambitious given how hilly the course is. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish in something under five hours (as I have in my previous 5 marathons). If I have a really great day, with no repeat of the "cranky" knee I had in New Glasgow and Chicago, maybe I'll even pull off a personal best. Frankly, if I run anything in the 4:30s, I'll be thrilled.

Whatever happens, I promise to post results as soon after the race on October 16th as I can.

Thanks again to all my sponsors!


BTW, the two pics above were taken today as Husband and I enjoyed a delicious post-run supper outside. It was a lovely warm day - more like summer than fall - so we decided to make the most of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment