Wednesday, September 14, 2011

This is why we taper...

I'm just home from another 8km run at race pace.  It felt okay for the first 5km but I have to admit the last 3km felt tough.  Last night's 8 km run with my friend Sue felt much the same.

I'm trying not to panic.

I know it's normal to feel tired at this point in marathon training. That's why tapering's so important.  After four months of hard training, my body simply needs some rest to prepare for race day - and I'll just have to see it gets it.

Somehow.

Curbing my type A tendency to do "just a little more" training will be a big challenge, as will the demands of my various work, family and volunteer commitments over the next month.  But I'm optimistic. After all, once this week is behind me, I'll be running fewer kilometres less intensively.  So long as I eat right, get enough sleep and remember to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, there's every chance I'll finish my 6th marathon "upright and smiling" having raised a bunch of money for a great cause and honoured two very special friends.

I hope so anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment