Monday, September 5, 2011

Week 15: On vacation…and getting ready for two final weeks of tough training


Total kms this week: 38 kms
Total kms in 15 weeks: 565 kms
Longest run: 17 kms
Other training: long beach walks
Funds raised to date: $4,001.00


It’s been a mellow week. I’ve been on vacation and focussing on eating well and getting as much rest as possible before I launch into two more weeks of tough training. It’s been lovely in many ways but it’s also given me a taste of what my taper’s going to feel like. Icky. After all these months of training, even a day or two without running makes me feel antsy as heck. Thank goodness for other things to keep me occupied.

Today, it was a long walk along the coast between Broad Cove and Green Bay, where I took the picture above. It was a spectacular hike even with the fog rolling in. The wind was wild and the waves rolled large rocks against the shore making a sound I haven’t heard since our trip to Newfoundland several years ago. Truly breathtaking. We’ll be back for another hike soon.

Now that I’ve had a bit of breather, it’s time to kick back into full gear. On the agenda for this week – 3 or 4 short runs of between 5 and 10 kilometres each, followed by a 32-34 km run on the weekend. The forecast looks good for next Sunday so I’m thinking another hilly route is in order and there’s a 5k race in Lunenburg on Saturday that looks like fun.

Unfortunately, it’s been a slow week on the fundraising side because, for the most part, I've been off-line. Besides, I knew that people were just finishing up summer holidays and preparing to go back to work but, hopefully, there’s time enough to put on another push once folks have got their feet back on the ground. It would be great to raise another $2,000 before I head for San Francisco in six weeks (gulp!).

Thanks to everyone for their support so far – especially to my very patient and loving husband for all his encouragement and for taking such great care of me while he’s been in Nova Scotia this summer. Thanks too to all those who inspire – Jon and Kirsi, Gill and Gregor, Jane and Brent, Michael and Maeve, Christine, Jack and many others. I couldn’t have done any of this without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment