Sunday, September 11, 2011

Week 16: Five weeks until San Francisco – savouring my blessings

The last kilometre of my 33km run yesterday!
Total kms this week: 62 kms
Total kms in 16 weeks: 627 kms
Longest run: 33 kms
Other training: long beach walks, swimming
Funds raised to date: $4,001.00


It’s hard to believe but, if things go as planned, I’ll be running the final miles of the San Francisco Nike Women’s Marathon five weeks from now. With just one more tough week of training ahead before I begin tapering, I’m excited and relieved the finish line is in sight. 

I really love running so I’ve mostly enjoyed my training this summer.  Nevertheless, it has begun to take a toll.  It will be nice not to have to plan every weekend around my training schedule. This weekend, for example, I ran a total of 41.5 kilometres (almost a full marathon!) over two days - 33kms yesterday and 8.5 kms today – which didn’t leave time for much else.

Of course, since today is September 11th, the tragedy of the attacks on the US and the death and destruction that's followed (and continues) are top of mind.  However, I've decided to avoid the special reports on radio and TV and honour those who've died by savouring my own life and many blessings instead.

I put that intention into action first thing this morning by going running with a good friend along a peaceful road that hugs the South Shore near Mahone Bay. It was impossible to feel anything but joyful running in good company amidst such beauty on a perfect early fall day. When I got home, I spent an hour picking ripe blackberries from the bushes that line our property and froze enough to make pie in the depths of winter when the taste of summer will be most appreciated. Once I finish this post, I plan to slip back outside to pick several armfuls of hydrangea for drying before preparing to return to the city and work tomorrow.

Life is good. I’m alive, healthy, happy and very grateful to be spending these last few hours of my vacation savouring my many blessings and thinking about those in whose honour I've been training and fundraising these past four months.

Thanks to all of you who have already sponsored me. If you haven’t done so, I hope you’ll consider it,  You can go to my fundraising page to make a donation using your credit card or PayPal.

PS:  For a few pics from my long run yesterday and our vacation this past week, you can click here

No comments:

Post a Comment