Sunday, October 2, 2011

Week 19: Two weeks to race day!

Total kms this week:  33kms
Total kms in 19 weeks: 761 kms
Longest run: 12 kms
Other training: walking, yoga
Fundraising to date: $4,530

Two weeks.

It really doesn't seem possible that two weeks from tonight I'll be celebrating my 6th marathon (I hope!) in San Francisco.  I'm almost sad that my latest TNT adventure will be over so soon. It's been good to have an all-consuming project on which to focus these past few months - good to be reminded each and every day that life is precious and that there are so many kind and generous people in the world.  

Friends are already asking whether I'll run another marathon next year. I'm not sure. A lot depends on how this one goes and how my body feels afterwards. If things go well, I think I may tackle one more long race (a 50km "ultra") early next summer in celebration of my 50th birthday.  If not, perhaps I'll concentrate on shorter distances and see if I can run them a little faster instead.  

Fundraising
The total my sponsors have contributed continues to grow for which I'm sincerely grateful. This past week, a number of colleagues from work donated and several others told me they intend to - so I'm still hoping to reach $5,500 before I board the plane for SF. Coincidentally, one of my colleagues went to school with Jon in Fredericton and remembers him as fondly as I do. What a small world!

Training
This week's runs felt good and I kept faithfully to my schedule - which was hard because my body wanted to run farther than my coaches recommended. I took their advice though and kept the distances short, concentrating on quality instead.  I must say it was a confidence-booster to feel so relatively strong and energetic. And last night - for the first time in months - I managed to sleep 8.5 hours in a row - which I hope means my body is finally getting the message that it's time to rest up for race day. 

There have definitely been times this week when I felt the edginess that comes with tapering - but, on the whole, I'm still feeling okay. So long as I eat right, get lots of rest, finish breaking in my new shoes (don't worry, coach, they're coming along nicely!), and avoid getting sick, I'll be as ready as I ever have been to run a marathon. And I can't ask for more than that. 

Thanks to all who have already sponsored me. Your encouragement and support have meant more than you'll ever know.

If you haven't sponsored me yet and would like to, please visit my on-line fundraising page at www.tinyurl.com/not-about-the-necklace. Thanks so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment