Monday, July 25, 2011

Week 9: 25 kms along my favourite piece of shoreline


Kilometres this week:  48 kms
Total kms in 9 weeks:  300.7 kms
Other training:  yoga, several long beach walks
Funds raised to date: $2260.00 

It's been another great week in terms of fundraising. A masssive thank you to all those who've sponsored me so far. Your support and encouragment mean more than I can say.

It's been a great week in terms of training as well. Tuesday, I ran a mellow 7kms with my friend Sue - which was all I could manage after my chiropractor, Eric Helson, had another go at my right calf Monday night. The treatment hurt like the dickens but seems to have been effective so I'll head back for more of the same later this week. (In all seriousness, if you live in HRM and require chiropractic care, I'd highly recommend Dr. Helson. As well as being a heck of a nice guy, he's a marathoner, an ironman, and an amazing diagnostician.)

Thursday night, I managed six hill repeats; Saturday, I ran an easy 8kms along the river; and - for a special treat - I ran nearly 25kms along my favourite piece of Nova Scotia shoreline yesterday.  I hadn't run the same route since last February on a cold, windy day when the scenery looked quite different. (Click here to read an account of my February run and here to see pictures.)  By contrast, yesterday was glorious - mostly sunny and warm with a cool breeze that made running very comfortable. The photo below was taken by a fellow beachlover near the end of the route, as I made my way back across Crescent Beach. 


My run started and ended at Risser's Beach, where I went swimming in the icey North Atlantic afterward to cool my overheated legs and feet, and spent the rest of the afternoon sunbathing, reading, and visiting with my sister and her family.


Of course, throughout the day, events in Norway and the Horn of Africa were top of mind, reminding me of the terrible fragility of life and of the grave social and economic inequities that have resulted in so much terror, violence and death around the world. Needless to say, they also made me more grateful than ever that I could spend yesterday being with people I love and exploring my favourite piece of Nova Scotia shoreline.

For more pictures from yesterday's run, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment