Sunday, July 17, 2011

Week 8: Savouring how lucky I am

Kilometres this week:  41.5 kms
Total kms in 8 weeks:  242.7 kms
Other training: 2 hours yoga, several long beach walks
Funds raised to date: $1810.00 


What does this photo have to do with TNT?  Well, it's my favourite from amongst those I took at the beach today where I spent the afternoon with a good friend and various members of my family. We walked, talked, listened to the waves and - yes - even swam in the cold north Atlantic.  It was a few hours of well-earned rest and relaxation after a big weekend of training.

Following my first foray into hills on Thursday, I tackled a long slow 21kms yesterday without triggering a major knee issue. In fact, my knee felt so good after running 16kms at a sensibly slow pace that I was able to pick it up considerably for the last 5kms and arrived home feeling strong and energized!

This morning, I hit the road again - this time with my friend Karen who was visiting for the weekend.  I introduced her to my favourite 8km loop along the river, then added a little distance so she could see some of Bridgewater's fine old century homes as well.  Our pace was a leisurely one because I was recovering from my LSR and because, as always when we run together, we talked non-stop. :-)  Back at the house, we enjoyed a delicious breakfast of fresh strawberries and cream, toast, That Dutchman's gouda and cafe latte on the back deck, before packing up to head to the beach.

This weekend brought home to me again one of the things I like best about being a member of TNT - being reminded regularly to savour just how lucky I am to be alive and healthy enough to go for long mellow runs, body surf in the ocean, eat wonderful food and spend time with the people I love.

If you haven't sponsored me yet, I hope you'll consider it!

No comments:

Post a Comment