Sunday, October 9, 2011

Week 20: One week to go! Focusing on inspiration and strategy!

Total kms this week:  23.5kms
Total kms in 20 weeks: 784.5kms
Longest run: 11.5 kms
Other training: walking, yoga
Fundraising to date: $4,905

One week to go. One week until I'm in San Francisco celebrating with my husband and TNT flex teammates, having completed my sixth marathon - at least, I hope so!

Though my training runs felt great this week, the tapering gremlins were busy.  Every twinge, every ache, every scratchy throat a cause for panic until I reminded myself (again and again) that it's normal to feel this way.  It's normal to have trouble sleeping, to feel a bit tight and achy, to be afraid that I've completely, totally and absolutely forgotten how to run any distance longer than 10 or 12kms.  Everyone feels like this just before a marathon. No need to panic. I've trained well. I'm as ready as I can be.  Now, I just have to wait. And rest. And try to think positive thoughts.

In order to keep my mind off all the things that could go wrong next Sunday (nausea, dehydration, muscle cramps, knee pain - to name a few), I've focused on two main things this week:

(1) My inspirations: All the people I'm running for - the people I know who have been touched by cancers, my teammates and their honourees, Gregor Gillis, and most of all Jon and Kirsi.  (BTW, there are still a few spots on my inspiration band if there's anyone you'd like me to think about as I climb the hills of San Francisco.)

(2) My mantra for the race: "Fun, Form, Fraternity"Given how tough the course is, a PB ("personal best" time) is unlikely so I might as well enjoy everything I can - the crowds, the entertainment, the beautiful views of San Francisco Bay and the company of thousands of fellow TNT runners.  In order to do that, I need to pay close attention to my pace and form. I want to start the race at a really comfortable pace and speed up only gradually in the second half if and when I feel ready. The last thing I want to do is push too hard in the early miles and give my knee an excuse to lock up like it did in June.

Between now and when I board the plane for SF on Friday, there's lots  to do - a final pre-race note to sponsors, thank you notes for last minute donations, etc. I also need to gather up the items I'll need on race day - pictures of Jon and Kirsi to pin to my shirt (as I did in Chicago, see above), my inspiration band, and my favourite brand of snacks and energy drinks.

I'll post an account of how it all went as soon as I can after the race - but it may be the next day depending on how I'm feeling and how quickly I can get an Internet connection.  However, race results will be available almost immediately on the race website if you're interested in checking my finish time sooner.

Thank you, everyone. For taking time to follow my journey and for whatever support or assistance you have already provided.  Your donations, encouragement and good wishes have meant more than you'll ever know.

If you haven't yet sponsored me, of course you still can. Secure on-line donations can be made by credit card or PayPal at www.tinyurl.com/not-about-the-necklace.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment