Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Week 10: Resting and recouping

Kilometres this week: 21 kms
Total kms in 10 weeks: 321.7 kms

Other training: yoga, resting and eating!
Funds raised to date: $2560.00 

Our TNT coaches tell us that rest is part of training - that our bodies need occasional breaks so they can recover and get stronger after a series of tough workouts - which was my justification for skipping a long slow run this past weekend and focussing on resting and eating lots instead.  I didn't have much choice in any case given that I was on the road visiting with hubbie in Ottawa and driving to Bracebridge and back (10 hours return) to attend a friend's marriage celebration.

Though my total mileage for the week was low, the training I managed to do was of good quality. I ran eight hill repeats last Wednesday evening, a hilly 5kms in Bracebridge and 8kms at a challenging (for me!) pace with a TNT friend Brent in Ottawa yesterday - where it was already incredibly hot and humid by 7:30 am!

Much as I enjoyed my time in "Upper" Canada, I must say it felt good to return to the more moderate climate of HRM last night and I look forward to the training I have planned for the week ahead - which includes more hills and a 29km run on Saturday.

In terms of fundraising, four new sponsors stepped up to make donations this week bringing the grand total to 33 so far. I'm still a long way from achieving my initial goal of raising $4,000 but I remain optimistic given that the race is still eleven weeks away.

By the way, I had a note from Kirsi a few days ago saying that she'd just returned from vacation and had had a marvellous time. Now that she's back home, she and I and our two other college roommates will have to get more serious about planning our big 50th birthday trip in January!  It's wonderful that the four of us are still able (and still want!) to go on adventures together after all these years.

I hope you and yours are enjoying a happy and healthy summer so far. If you haven't yet sponsored me... well, you know the drill. :-)  I'd really appreciate whatever support you are able and willing to provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment