Sunday, June 26, 2011

Week 5: Recovering and Refocusing on Fundraising

Kilometres this week:  15 kms
Other training: Lots of walking and stretching!

Funds raised to date: $985.00

Training
Training was at a low ebb this week while I recovered from running the Johnny Miles marathon last weekend. I was walking pretty carefully the day after the race but, fortunately, by Tuesday was able to trot down the stairs to the ferry terminal almost normally - which I hope means full recovery isn't far off.  (For those who've never seen it, this YouTube video "The Day After the Marathon" is hilarious and pretty much says it all!) 

I took the rest of the week slowly and ran only two relatively short runs - 4kms on Thursday and 11kms today - though I also did as much walking and stretching as possible. The Thursday run felt surprisingly good, but my right leg got a little cranky again this morning so clearly further rehab is in order.  On the upside, having to take it slowly this morning meant I had the chance to enjoy the sight and scents of dozens of saltwater rose bushes blooming along the route (one of which is pictured above).

When I saw my chiro the day after the race, he assured me my legs were in decent shape all things considered so hopefully today's discomfort was nothing but a faint echo from last weekend. Time will tell - but I'm determined to stay optimistic at this stage.

Fundraising
In terms of fundraising, I was greatly encouraged when Jon's folks made a generous donation in support of my run this past week, which was followed by several other large donations including one from my mother and father-in-law. In addition, a number of friends and colleagues offered to sponsor me without being prompted. So all in all it feels like things are coming along nicely - although I'll have to continue to be diligent.

While slowly easing my way back into training over the next few weeks, I hope to focus more of my time and energy on fundraising. This weekend, I made detailed plans for my next round of appeal letters which I'll start sending out later in the week. In addition, I'll follow up with several people who've already said they want to sponsor me. I also need to begin thinking about what kind of fundraising event I could hold this fall.  (Suggestions, anyone?)

If you're reading this and haven't yet made a donation to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Canada in support of my run, I hope you'll consider it!  I still have a long way to go to reach my initial goal of $4,000 so any amount you can contribute would be greatly appreciated!!

No comments:

Post a Comment